Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hard Cider












So beyond my obsession of beer, I also have a obsession with liquids that require or stack up to heavy or even light fermentation...With that being said I embarked on a side project (or two, more to come on that) I'm always tweaking and attempting to learn something new. I recently joked to one of my fraternity brothers (proud brother of Sigma Pi) that I've done more reading now then I did in college (thanks JWU), I actually like going to the library and spending hours reading about yeasts and ancient monks and liquors and coffees that were used 80 years ago.

This has led me to Ciders, by no means do i plan to replicate the traditional ciders we see on our local shelves such as Woodchuck or Strongbow. I'm going to leap outside of the box with this one, I plan too make this one of my special bottles for the holidays and really bump up the (abv) alcohol levels to 6% maybe 8%. From all of the research that I have been able to compile it's very simple, pure apple juice (pasteurized or non) 100% with your choice of yeast (preferably champagne or Safale 04 or 05. And your traditional brewing airlock and store in a cool, dry place to let ferment.

When all is said and done I plan to share these with my special taste panel (Sunday Family Dinners) for a possible tweak of the recipe or begin a full volume of the recipe. I will update on the tasting and any tweaks!!!

FYI: Right to Left is the time Lapse of 1 week....


No comments:

Post a Comment